Sunday, January 20, 2013

Dining Room Changes

One of my favorite things to do is to putter around my house.  Recently the “puttering” turned into refinishing the  dining room table top.  Years ago, I painted it white and over the years it has had several  hand painted borders.  It had gotten very worn looking so it was time for a change. I decided to strip the paint off the top and let the wood  be seen.
Here is the project part way through.  It’s a very big table when both leaves are in! I used a paint stripper and scrapped all the paint off until I got down to the bare wood.
 Then I used  a Minwax walnut  stain, let it dry completely then used Minwax Wipe On Ploy to finish it off… and  voila!  Here is the finished table top.
 I also spray painted the chairs white and got this fabric (blue and white of course) on sale at Hancock Fabrics and I recovered the seats.If you’ve never recovered a dining room chair, let me know and I’ll tell you how.  It’s easy shmeasy
 I also put a string of white Christmas lights inside the china cabinet.  Oops, just noticed the photo shows the white drawers which I’ve never got around to painting. To make it really sparkle, I took out all the china except 2 white tureens and I put all my cut glass and silver things  to catch the light.  This doesn’t show it too well.  I’ll try to remember to take a picture of  it at night and show you.
 And here is my dining room with a fresher look. The picture isn’t very good but I wasn’t patient enough to wait for the light to change.

I am happy with how it turned out.  The contrast of the wood top with the white legs is good.
Next project is to make some drapes, just have to find the right fabric at the right price.
With rose colored glasses,
Rhondi
**Finally figured out what was wrong and comments are working again!  Thanks for your patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi
Thanks so very much for taking the time to leave a comment. I always read every one. I am glad you stopped by for a visit. Hope you'll come again!
Rhondi