Friday, November 1, 2013

We Will Make Art

We will make art. I am reading a wonderful book A Million Little Ways by Emily Freeman. Here are a couple of quotes from her book:
“You stare at your living room and imagine ways to make it better and then you do and it changes your mood. It should be silly, except somehow it isn’t.”
“I don’t believe there is one great thing I was made to do in this world.  I believe there is one great God I was made to glorify.  And there will be many ways,  maybe even a million little ways, I willed declare his glory with my life.”
It’s not just painters or writers or musicians who are artists.
Anyone who has an idea in their head and presents it in such a way that people can be inspired, encouraged, comforted, etc  is an artist.
I like to make quilts.  The fun for me is choosing the colors and putting them together in an interesting way.  I’m never sure how it will turn out until I’m done.
When people look at my quilts it makes them feel happy because they are colorful.
When people sleep under my quilts or wrap them around themselves while watching TV it makes them feel warm and cared for.
I have made quilts from shirts for a friend whose husband died and a quilt quilted with Psalm 91 for a friend who was battling cancer, which brought comfort and love. ”
 In her book she says, “What if you began to see your art as something other than your idea?  What if it was less lofty and more necessary to your daily rhythm?  What if your art is part of a bigger picture, part of a daily grace God has in mind for someone else?”  So when I am thinking about the colors and how to put them together it is so much more than just some talent I have.  I am  doing something God has called me to do.”
So, “we will make art”
I am going to make something with fabric, some type of quilt.  The first thing to do is decide what colors to use.
Decided to use blue (what a surprise)
It always gets quite messy.
I was thinking of using some pink to, but finally settled on this simple block with 16 2″ squares.
More messiness. My sewing room has a bed in the middle of it!
I start to arrange them in a pattern.  I don’t know what it is going to be yet, a quilt for a bed, for a tablecloth, to throw over the back of a couch.  For right now my job is just to arrange the pieces and wait to see how it turns out.
This is the art I am making right now.  Here is one more quote from the book:
“The world needs you awake and alive.  Does the world need another book? Song? Painted living room? Not necessarily, but the world does need you to come alive right where you are and not where you wish you were.  If writing books, or songs, or painting  living rooms is what makes you come alive, then that’s what you’ll need to do.”
What makes you come alive?  Are you doing it?
Rhondi xo

I am linking with Emily’s blog Chatting At The Sky today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi
Thanks so very much for taking the time to leave a comment. I always read every one. I am glad you stopped by for a visit. Hope you'll come again!
Rhondi