Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Room Of My Own Inspired By Where Women Create



Sometimes I think of Monday mornings as a “do over”  I get to start a new week and maybe get some of the things done  I intended to get done last week, or the week before that or the week before that!  My project is to make a creative space for me, a room of my own, inspired by Where Women Create, a place  where when I have to stop my creative work I can just shut the door on the mess.   When I return to it I can pick up right where I left off.

If you’ve known me for awhile you may remember when I had my sewing studio in our beautiful sunroom.   It is tidy in this photo, but the problem was that I couldn’t close the door on the mess.  I’m not a neat freak or anything like that, but I hated being able to see the mess ALL THE TIME!   It was visible from the kitchen, and the TV room and was immediately inside the back door so every time I came  home there was my messy creative space staring me in the face.  Also if you always have to clean up  before you are finished your project and then get all the supplies out again when you are ready to continue, it really stifles creativity.
 So, here is my project: our old guest room, which I plan to turn into a room of my own inspired by Where Women Create. It has been a guest room with a less than comfortable bed in it. It gets used maybe twice a year, and the rest of the year I use it for sewing.
 The bed took up most of the room and was always in the way. My sewing machine was kind of crowded in one corner. We removed the bed but now it’s a catchall for all my projects and doesn’t function well at all.
Every woman needs a room of her own where she can shut the door to the outside world, a quiet place to think, to rest, to dream, to create.
That is my goal: to turn this guest bedroom into a room where I can do that.
 I have this ugly grey chair that I use when I am sewing.  The first thing I will do is cover it in something pretty.

I have this white feather Christmas tree which I’d like to use all year round instead of just Christmas, so I thought it might be fun to use it in here.
My husband put up a shelf for me which is above the window so I have a place to put pretty non functional things that I like to look at but don’t want to have them take up valuable work space.
I’ve always admired many of the workspaces I see in the magazine Where Women Create.  My space might never be magazine worthy but I am going to make it a room of my own  Where (this) Woman (can) Create.  Hopefully by telling you I am doing this it might get me more motivated and keep me accountable to get it done and soon I will be able to show you a finished creative space.
                                                                            Rhondi xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi
Thanks so very much for taking the time to leave a comment. I always read every one. I am glad you stopped by for a visit. Hope you'll come again!
Rhondi