Thursday, January 3, 2008

I Need a Cup of Tea

Hello my friends.
I am having trouble getting to my To Do list. Many of you seem to be very busy.
Rachel Anne , my company girl, at Home Sanctuary http://homesanctuary.typepad.com/rachelanne/ is busy helping us make our homes into a sanctuary. She has a video on how to clean a loo (toilet). You probably can't resist seeing what that is all about! What does that have to do with making your home a sanctuary you ask? Go over and visit her and find out.
My friend Angela at Cottage Magpie http://cottagemagpie.com/ is busy giving wonderful decorating advice. She is so full of great ideas! Email her and I'm sure she can help you with that decorating dilemna.
Another friend Rhoda at Southern Hospitality http://southernhospitality-rhoda.blogspot.com/ is busy organizing and sorting.
What am I doing? Nothing! Can't get myself going today. Whenever I have trouble getting going on a project or get a creative block when designing quilts, I always find it's best to stop, make a cup of tea, think about it for awhile and then go back and tackle the project. Having tea calms me, helps me think or get perspective or just comforts me. So I made a pot of tea using this cute teaset I got at a thrift shop when we lived in PA. It's designed by the British designer Nina Campbell. Notice the cute tea cosy made to match. I love the cloth embroidered in blue with a picture of a creamer and a sugar bowl. I got it at a garage sale. Okay I have let the tea steep and am ready to let the heat of it warm and comfort me. Isn't the teapot sweet? It is just enough tea for one. That's very rude of me isn't it? I'll go and make some more for you too and get another cup.
While we visit, let me show you something I made. One of my blog visitors saw this at the corner of one of the photos I showed on an earlier post and asked if I could show the whole thing. So here it is.
This is the first quilt I designed myself. I was inspired by a design by Maggie Walker which I made previously. I call this Blue Plate Special. As you know by now if you've visited me very often that I love blue and white. It is about 60" x 60". What I did was draw objects around our home and incorporate them into the quilt. I drew some pink flowers to give some contrast to the blue and white and I put a vine running all through it. We have a magnolia tree espaliered (pruned so that it lies flat )on our side wall, so the vine represents that. It is all hand appliqued and hand quilted. Here is a close up of one section.
This is the ginger jar, bowl and rooster that I used for my inspiration.
Well after that little break and a cup of tea I guess I'll do some more priming on the kitchen cabinets. Hope you are having a wonderful day.

Rhondi



16 comments:

  1. Your muses will return and you will take off. I love the quilt. It is just beautiful and even though I am new to your blog since you 'found' me, I really can see and feel already how much this quilt fits for you. It is perfect.

    I just put the quilt on my handwork blog NeedleNecessities that I gave to my niece for Christmas. Funny how seeing it on the photos looks different than having it in front of me. I enjoyed making it as there was a pretty effect you get with this pattern when it is hand quilted.

    Hugs ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a pretty blog! I just discovered you, and will be back often.

    Have a marvelous 2008!

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful day...can't wait to see your cabinets!

    smiles, kari and kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rhondi, ha! We are doing the same as you today, nothing! And it sure feels good doesn't it! Nina Campbell is a faulous designer. Your quilt is just exquisite, a stunning design :) Have a wonderful relaxing day Rhondi, we all need days like these sometimes!! Jenn and Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just loved your beautiful posting here. All the blue and white, the tea set, the tea cloth...everything is just beautiful! I, too, stop often for a cup of tea. I'm afraid that I use tea bags more often than brewing a pot. It still relaxes me very much to just sit, sip and sigh!
    hugs, bj

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my goodness! Your quilt is absolutely wonderful! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rhondi! I'm so happy that you found my blog and paid me a visit so that I could in turn find YOU! Your quilt is exceptional. Just lovely. Best wishes to your DH today. I hope everything goes well for him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rhondi,
    I'm kind of with you on the having trouble getting moving after the busy Christmas season. All your blue and white is so pretty and looks so familiar to me. We have a lot of the same things. Your quilt is incredibly beautiful. I'm like Penny and would like to know if you sell them~~~~
    Have a nice relaxing afternoon.
    Hugs & xoxo,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness that quilt of oyurs is breathtaking - I loved the first photos of the teaset then I scrolled down to the quilt it is exquisite. You are a very clever lady. I am moving on the 18th Jan!!!!!!Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That quilt is SPECTACULAR!!!!! Just spectacular. I am blown away. And thank you for mentioning me! You are too nice!
    ~Angela :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this quilt! You are truly quite talented! Thanks for visiting my blog. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rhondi your blue and white quilt is stunning.
    Will you be selling the pattern for it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rhondi, this is an amazing piece of work. I want to see each and every detail. Next time you have your camera at the ready please take more details of the various blocks. This could definitely be another post! Honestly, I own many quilts and have done three myself. This one has absolutely stolen my heart! I love the way you worked in all your own things from around your home and then included the vine to represent your magnolia espalier. I noticed another quilt of this nature on the sidebar of this post. It is blue and yellow. Is this the inspiration quilt or yet another quilt you've done. I want to see ALL the quilts you've made. Thanks for your wonderful blog. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi
    Rhondi
    You are wonderful , your words are full of warmth and honesty...
    I love blue and white Just like you and am hoping to have a collection of my own but its difficult in India as we have not thrift shops and people us a lot of steel for day to day use instead of ceramics...
    You are sooooo good at your quilts ... how did you learn?

    ReplyDelete
  15. your Blue Dish quilt is amazing.
    well I am finally going to make the Blue collection quilt
    do you think you can send me pictures of yours.
    I looked thru your blog and just love your fabric choices on your quilt from the pictures I can find from it.
    but would love to see them closer and have a picture of your whole quilt, thank you for considering my request.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete

Hi
Thanks so very much for taking the time to leave a comment. I always read every one. I am glad you stopped by for a visit. Hope you'll come again!
Rhondi