Monday, January 14, 2008

A Place for Everything

I love houses. I love decorating houses. My husband calls it nesting. Of course he wishes I would just make the nest and be done with it, but that's not how I work. There's always a picture to be hung or a wonderful useless thing from a flea market to be jammed in someplace. I've had to hang pictures just to cover the nail holes left by other pictures that have been moved somewhere else! But that's the fun of decorating, I think-- possibilities are endless. Rearranging rooms, trying new colors, new styles--it keeps things interesting.

That is the opening paragraph in Mary Engelbreit's book called Home Companion published back in 1994. It could have been my words. When I first read it, I said to my husband, "Listen to this. This is me!"

I just like stuff . I enjoy "the hunt", finding a bargain ,and I like the fun of finding a home for it, a temporary home usually as I will probably put it somewhere else in my home before long!

So these are a few of the things that I've found over time. I found a home for all of them on a table in our front hall for a little while. These little yellow birds, $2 at a yard sale, are actually a planter. The books were from a yard sale too 50 cents each. I got this nice big 15" pitcher for $4 at a local consignment shop.
The little birds were $1 at another yard sale.
This great leaf bowl was part of a set that included 6 dinner plates, 6 bread and butter plates plates & 6 cups and saucers, made in Portugal. It was $22 for the whole set! at another consignment/thrift shop.
This bowl was a great bargain too, $5. It's Mottahedah design also made in Portugal.
Just a green plate from T J Maxx.
A little metal Mary Engelbreit sculpture for $3. Another yard sale find.
So I took all these wonderful things I found and arranged them all on a long table in the hall. Here's a close up of half the vignette. The other half.
Here is the whole display which I think looks great with my quilt as the backdrop. This is the wall where my red and white quilt hung at Christmas. If you came to the holiday open house tour had you would have seen it.
So that's my story of finding useless interesting things and making a place for them in my home. Come back next month and they'll probably all be in another place. Perhaps I should have titled this "A Place for Everything and Everything in its Place, But Not Necessarily the Same Place"!
Enjoy the rest of your day.
Rhondi





14 comments:

  1. Oh, you are a woman after my own heart! Love all your finds, especially the sweet bird planter!
    xox,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way too Rhondi. The thought of 'being done' in my home is very depressing. I love changing things around or putting out seasonsal items. A house in not a home if it is finished. :)

    Hugs ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. We absolutely LOVE your word for the day...so true....(and all your wonderful treasures)!

    Have a blessed day!

    smiles, kari & kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! I so feel that...that need to keep finding stuff and rearranging stuff. I have to print this out and share it with my husband--he'll be happy to know he's not alone! And that quilt! Stunning!
    ~Angela :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhondi, I love all of your beautiful finds! All men seem to wish that women would "nest and then be done with it"...but nesting is an ongoing process. :)

    Your new header is stunning...one of the prettiest I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rhondi,
    Thanks for visitng my blog and for the nice comments.
    I do the same thing. I find stuff, put it out and move it around.
    The house will never be done.
    That is the fun of it.
    Have a great week,
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH...MY...GOD...I can't read this. It's too beautiful. I haven't read your blog or any comments. Just looked at the photos. Yup, that's me! I will read however. How can there be so many amazing women out there in never~never land? I'm amazed daily. Seriously. I am.

    XO Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rhondi,

    I like all your finds and I don't think they're useless because they bring you pleasure...I'm the caretaker for a time of the objects I find that make my heart smile ...then my girls will probably have a yard sale and they'll pass on to other junque collectors who will enjoy them...and on and on it goes...

    Sometimes I pack away lots of my 'finds' for awhile and several months later I'll take them back out and enjoy them all over again....

    I do enjoy visiting with you....Betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wonderful quilt is the perfect backdrop for all of your collectibles! I love the colors you've chosen for your home. It seems very whimsical and I like that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rhondi,

    I found your blog through Suzanne and thought I'd stop by for a visit. I am so glad I did! You're Baltimore Album quilt is gorgeous! I'm in the process of finishing a Southern Album quilt (a book by Kristin Steiner from Charleston, SC). It doesn't have near the applique in it but it was enough! I'll be glad to have it done...soon, I hope.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a good eye for beautiful things....Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for visiting and commenting. Nice to meet you. I am glad you are enjoying my story. If I may suggest, try to read it from the beginning because it's the early years that give meaning to the later years.

    I am amazed at the beauty of your quilt. I will go back and search for the huse tour right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great finds. And, what a beautiful Baltimore Album style quit. I love the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your "finds" are nothing short of fabulous! You have an excellent eye. Did you make that quilt? It is gorgeous. That is one beautiful display. Susan

    ReplyDelete

Hi
Thanks so very much for taking the time to leave a comment. I always read every one. I am glad you stopped by for a visit. Hope you'll come again!
Rhondi