Friday, December 7, 2012

Paper Christmas Tree


Today I am joining in  The Nester's Christmas Craft Party and continuing with  my no cost decorating theme.  Today's project is a paper Christmas tree. It's not really no cost, but only three dollars. I don't know about you but I get excited by the challenge of making something for little or no money.
Lately I've been inspired by some of the things I've seen on Pinterest that are made with pages of old books.  The first project I did was this wreath.  Once I figured out how to make the cones a uniform size, the rest was easy.  I'm not going to show you how to make it since because there are plenty of instructions online already.
In keeping with the theme of no cost decorating, the  letters for JOY are cut from a cardboard box and the O is an extra plate.  I have LOTS of extra plates!
 The wreath was fun and easy to make so I decided to try and make a paper Christmas tree.  Supplies needed:  tape , 5 or 6 poster boards ( not sure if that's the right name, it's what you use to make  posters), a glue gun and a couple of books.  Try to find  books that are the same size and the paper is similar in thickness and color.
First step was to  tape some poster board paper together into a cone shape.  Then tear the cover and spine off the books and tear the pages out.  Roll each page into a cone shape and glue the end so it won't unroll.
 Then begin to glue the paper cones around the shape doing one row at a time.
 Here is the finished paper Christmas tree.  It is about 4 feet tall.  I am very happy with how it turned out!  I wonder if anyone else has a tree like mine?

No where to put it?  First I tried it  on the left side of the couch, but the whole wall looked  lopsided.  I think that's because I  still need to put something to fill up the wall space beside the wreath. Actually I'm not happy with how that wall looks at all, but for now that's the way it is.
 So  I moved it to the other side and I think it looks better there, at least for now.

Here is a view of it through the mirror on the opposite wall.   You can see the mantle with the fabric scrap wreath I posted about a few days ago.

The nice thing about my Christmas crafts is that they aren't very "Christmasy" so I can leave them up after Christmas if I want to.
There are lots of bloggers joining The Nester's party so make sure you check it out  and happy crafting!
See you next time,
Rhondi xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi
Thanks so very much for taking the time to leave a comment. I always read every one. I am glad you stopped by for a visit. Hope you'll come again!
Rhondi